Saturday, October 4, 2008

Oats & Spring Onion Parathas



Having a box full of oats at home, I was wondering how to get it into our stomachs. I usually use oats to make cookies for my kids and now I am bored of making the same thing out of the oats. Its tough for me to get this wonderful grain into my kids in any other form. I was as usual searching for a savoury recipe with oats and found a good one from Tarla Dalal. This Oats and Spring Onion Paratha is so easy to make and you wont believe that my kids finished it off along with their favourite accompaniment i.e. plain yoghurt.


Ingredient :

1/4 cup quick cooking oats ( I coarsely powdered the oats in the mixie )
3/4 whole wheat flour
2 tbsp. yoghurt
salt to taste
water to knead the dough

For the filling :

1 tsp. jeera
1 tsp. oil
2 bunches of spring onion chopped along with the onions
1 clove of garlic chopped
1 - 2 green chillies finely chopped ( you can also substitute with red chilli powder )
1/2 tsp. turmeric
chopped coriander leaves
salt to taste


Method :

1. Heat the oil in a pan, add jeera and when they get fried, add the garlic, green chillies, spring onions, salt and turmeric and saute till they are cooked and the mixture is dry. Also add some chopped coriander leaves. Allow to cool completely.

2. Mix all the ingredients and adding little water make into a soft pliable dough.

3. Take a portion of the dough, fill in the mixture and seal completely and roll out into small chapathis using flour for dusting.

4. Cook the parathas on a non stick pan on both sides using little or no oil on a medium flame till brown spots appear. Serve hot with yoghurt.

No comments: